Robotics is the current buzz word in the industry and is bringing drastic changes to the world by its inventions.
What is a Robot? What is a machine?
A robot is a device which reduces human work. This is the definition we often see on google or assume it to be. So, here, each one of us has a doubt – if a machine is also a device which reduces human work, what is the need of a robot? What is the major difference between a machine and a robot?
A machine is a device which can perform only single task and cannot be moved from one place to another by itself. A robot is a machine which can perform different tasks. Different machines combine to form a robot. There is a myth in the saying “All machines are not robots, but all robots are machines”.
Joseph F. Engelberger is the father of robotics. He was an American physicist, engineer, and a businessman, who was responsible for the birth of one the most important and impactful industries.
Why is robotics needed?
Robotics technology influences every aspect of work and home. Robotics has the potential to positively transform lives and work practices, raise efficiency and safety levels and provide enhanced levels of service. In these industries, robotics already underpins employment.
What are the advantages of robotics?
- Safety: Safety is the most obvious advantage of utilizing robotics.
- Speed: Robots don’t get distracted and doesn’t need to take breaks.
- Consistency: Robots never need to divide their attention between a multitude of things.
- Perfection: Robots will always deliver quality.
What are the disadvantages of robotics?
- Unemployment: replacing the human workforce in many areas.
- Maintenance: Maintaining of robots is a difficult task without any proper knowledge.
How is robotics useful to students at a school level?
- Robotics helps students think creatively.
- Students are prepared for future technologies at a very young age which help them solve and take up any kind of challenge and come out of it with a good solution.
- Learning how to build and program a robot can be a complex and difficult process. Many students struggle with the concepts at first and often get frustrated. Learning robotics in school can help children turn their frustration into creativity and innovation.
- Robotics is a field where students can develop their STEAM (S-Science, T-Technology, E-Engineering, A – Arts, M-Mathematics) skills. So, students can choose their career path from young age with lots of confidence.
- When girls realize their ability to build robots and program, they are empowered to have successful futures and create innovative technology.
Robotics at CHIREC
CHIREC has taken the initiative of teaching robotics to the students with growing concepts such as STEAM right from the Pre-Primary age. The curriculum helps students learn new concepts and moreover, students are confident in taking up the challenges and coming up with the solution. They also create new models, identify problems from society and develop solutions. The next step for robotics at CHIREC is for students to come up with new ideas and implement products of their own with new and existing technologies.
Image source: Google, Shutterstock, Pinterest, Vector stock
Ms. Bindu Sree
Hi! I’m Bindu Sree V. I completed Masters in Embedded Systems. I’m interested in designing robots that give solutions to current problems. I have done my internship in Robotics & STEM Education. It’s been 8 months at CHIREC, and I feel very happy to share my knowledge with the younger generation.